It’s no secret that I’m a huge advocate for natural remedies and am always turning to natural options for everyone in our home. We use quite a lot of preventative strategies rather than waiting for the illness to take one of us down and it’s amazing just how effective this can be.
There are so many opportunities to get ahead of illness before it gets serious; for example when the weather changes, when our children start school, when we are feeling tired and over-worked, when we feel the on-set of a cold… there’s always an opportunity to heal ourselves. I use a range of immune boosting tonics, techniques and tea’s for all of these instances and adapt them for each individual situation.
The more I learn what to use and when, the more success we have had. There is always going to be a place for conventional medicine, and like everyone we use it when we have to, but there is so much science and evidence behind these natural remedies and how potent and incredibly effective they are.
One of my favourites is this Immune Boosting Tea which is probably something I’ve created through a mix of resources – its so simple to make and its really easy to drink.
- 1/4 tsp of Tumeric powder
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp of organic unprocessed honey
- Fill to the top with hot or boiling water
- optional – add a sprig of Thyme for additional respiratory support (coughs, bronchitis etc) and its antiseptic properties.
- optional – add a sprig of Rosemary which has been shown to fight cancer cells. The smell of rosemary can also improve memory and it is also great for upper respiratory tract infections, and is anti-microbial.
- optional – add Ginger which has been known to support optimal digestion and relieve gut discomfort.
- optional – add Cinnamon which has been shown to lower blood sugar levels and cholesterol, reduce heart disease risk factors, assists with the treatment of Type 2 Diabetes and has antifungal, antibacterial, and even antiviral properties.
Turmeric Contains Bioactive Compounds with powerful medicinal properties. These compounds are called curcuminoids, the most important of which is Curcumin. Research has shown that Tumeric and Curcumin have a number of proven medicinal benefits.
- Boosts Immune System
- Fights Against Cancer
- Helps Prevents Alzheimer’s
- Reduces Stress
- Decreases Risk of Heart Disease
- Age Reversing
If you are looking for a more potent dose, curcumin can be taken directly but I would only suggest using 95% concentration. For best absorption, its important to take tumeric or curcumin with black pepper or for it to be combined with fats like coconut oil.
Apple Cider Vinegar or ACV has been used for thousands of years. In fact, Hippocrates (the father of medicine) used ACV back in around 400 B.C. for its health giving qualities. Even today, more and more people are becoming attuned to its amazing health benefits.
When purchasing ACV, always ensure that the product has sediment floating around in it; some call this “the mother” as this ensures that it has not been distilled or treated, which, by this process, removes many of the beneficial nutrients from it – don’t be fooled by the clear imitation; they have little to no benefit for you. If you can find an organic product, even better! This ensures quality, without the added chemicals or preservatives. I recommend Absolute Organic; they offer a great product which is available organically and also available in glass for those of you that are concerned about estrogen mimickers in plastics. Buy it here.
Here is a list of some of the reported benefits of ACV:
- Has anti-tumor potential
- Prevents bladder stones and urinary tract infections
- Strengthen the immune system
- Increase stamina
- Alleviate symptoms of arthritis and gout
- Reduce sinus infections and sore throats
- Balance high cholesterol
- Improve skin conditions such as acne
- Protect against food poisoning
- Increase metabolism which promotes weight loss
- Improve digestion and improve constipation
- Prevent muscle fatigue after exercise
- Fight allergies in both humans and animals
I make this Immune Boosting Tea consistently throughout the day when any one of us is isn’t feeling 100% or if I notice a change in my kids. I monitor the general appearance of the skin, clarity in their eyes, any darkness under their eyes, unusual mood changes, colour of the tongue and throat, fatigue and bowel changes. Sometimes we miss the cues and have something pop up unexpectedly and I find this tea works really well through all those phases of illness. Its beautiful and warm and the kids find it really easy to drink.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and that it helps to boost your immunity as winter approaches.