Back by popular demand! Here is a beautiful natural remedy for coughs and colds that actually boosts the immune system while treating symptoms. This little Elixir is suitable for young children through to adults and will help rather than harm the body.
Its totally natural for us to get sick from time to time, in fact, its inevitable but how frequently you get sick and how long it takes to bounce back are huge indicators of your level of health. Covering up symptoms with pharmaceuticals can mask the issue rather than heal it. In the case of a runny nose, the snot may be gross but it is deeply functional. It could be lubricating your dried-out sinuses, it might be localizing the “bad guy” viruses or bacteria stuck in your head, or it may be trying to move out the overload of sticky gunk in your stomach. If you block your bodies natural defence mechanisms by using something like Claritin or cold and flue tablets, your body then needs to find another way to expel the bacteria or virus. You end up constantly medicating symptoms and never actually returning to full health.
I got this amazing little recipe from Sally Gray, a Naturopath, Nutritionist & Transformational Mentor for over 25 years. She ran a course called “Exceptional Child Health Naturally” [The Natural First Aid Kit – Optimising, Treating & Restoring Health the way Nature Intended]. I don’t think she runs that exact course anymore but she has a range of courses both online and in person. I highly recommend engaging with her if you get the opportunity!! She shared so much insight into health and wellness, including her recipes that she’s been adjusting and perfecting over time. She believes, as I do, that in order to support and nurture your children, you have to allow their bodies to heal and recover appropriately in the face of illness and health challenges. The impact will not only be immediate, but will endure a lifetime through the establishment of a strong, health foundation and as they take what they learn from what they live. The same goes for ourselves as adults!
Don Tolman, the “Wholefood Medicine Man” says that “when you gain the knowledge and confidence to embrace the principles of health, you no longer live in fear and uncertainty because you realise that no ‘credentialed expert’ could possibly know more about your body than you.”
His intention, and mine, is to simply share the wisdom of self care that your ancestors wanted you to know.
From there, you’ll have the knowledge and power to choose a path that’s right for you and to even learn to heal yourself and live a happy, healthy, dis-ease free life.
So – to make this amazing Elixir, you will need
- Some local raw un-treated honey
- A clean glass jar (minimum 500ml)
- 1-3 Onions
Raw Honey contains a probiotic bacteria that boosts the immune system, it feeds the good bacteria and fights the bad bacteria, it is a natural antibacterial, natural anti-oxidant and a natural antiseptic. It has Anti-influenza Viral Effects, it aids in digestion, is also a natural stabiliser of blood pressure and helps to balance blood sugar levels whilst also being a natural energy booster. There are so many other benefits to raw unprocessed honey it could be a post by itself.
Onions are natural immune boosters too, they have also been shown to reduce inflammation and help to heal infections. They assist with respiratory issues, are anti-spasmodic, aid with digestion and blood purification. I prefer to buy organic onions because of the herbicides and pesticides used in Australia and in particular when Im making something specifically for healing purposes.
I have adapted the recipe to “super charge” it so to speak – but you can stick with the original recipe above if you like. If your kids are sensitive to taste, you can leave the garlic cloves out of it but I would still add the herbs if you can.
- Add 4-5 cloves of peeled organic raw garlic. Garlic is anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. It is important to prepare the garlic the right way to get a reliable antibiotic effect. Crush the garlic at room temperature and let it sit for 15min which is the optimal time for enzyme reactions that boost the healthy compounds in the garlic.
- Add a sprig of Thyme for additional respiratory support (coughs, bronchitis etc) and its antiseptic properties.
- Add a sprig of Rosemary which has been shown to fight cancer cells. The smell of rosemary can also improve memory and it is also great for upper respiratory tract infections, and is anti-microbial. (Thyme and Rosemary are particularly good for soothing inflamed lungs. Great support for night time coughing and spasms).
- Add a sprig of Oregano which has been shown to be highly anti-microbial making it useful for acute and chronic infections, particularly respiratory.
- Slice the onions into rings about 1/2cm thick and pack them into the jar until its full, leave about 3cm clear to the top of the jar.
- Drop the garlic cloves in and slide the herb sprigs down the sides of the jar.
- Pour the honey into the jar, covering the onions until the jar is full. Seal the jar closed.
- Store the jar at room temperature for 12-24 hours and then strain and keep in the fridge. The longer you leave the mixture, the more potent the taste of the onion and garlic in the honey.
You can give this mixture by the teaspoon for children and by the tablespoon for adults. I have to admit that we are pretty generous with this mixture and my kids are always asking for more so they often get 3-4 teaspoons. It can be used hourly or as needed to relieve symptoms.
I don’t think home remedies can be much easier than this one and most of the ingredients you should already have available in your kitchen.
Happy Brewing and I would love to hear any feedback about how this went for you and your family.